Sunday, November 6, 2011

Money, that's what I want





So, here are a couple articles I found just nosing around the Internet. 

Please read and respond.

The major question here is....does money matter in the education of our children?  Surely the answer is yes, so the question then becomes more focused on how and to what degree. 

Clearly we do not have clear answers from the experts, then again maybe we are asking the wrong experts.  That is why I am asking those of you who do it every day.

When I was working within the real world I could show you how money mattered, and I did see direct relationships between money and standardized test scores of districts, individual schools, and individuals within schools.  But, I have been beat up a lot in the press for suggesting this.   And, I could have been wrong.  Perhaps we should just sit back and let them, whoever they are, continue to reduce our funding because it doesn't matter anyway.  Maybe we are just wasting tax payers millions.

Here are a couple sites to consider. 

Does money matter….aworld study:

http://www.educatejournal.org/index.php?journal=educate&page=article&op=viewFile&path%5B%5D=146&path%5B%5D=151


Research from Texas, Louisiana, and Arkansas:


What do you think?


What Pink Floyd thinks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs01ZXU8ggQ&feature=fvst




4 comments:

jc said...

I think it's hard to not acknowledge that student and family background, especially in regards to education and how it is valued, plays a strong role in determining the type of student each child becomes. Schools are often asked to aid students in overcoming some obstacles that their situation affords them, and rightfully so since education is the way out for a lot of these kids.

I also think that an important issue raised in these articles is how it is noted that the debate over how much funding matters, or if it even matters at all, is still hotly contested. I would be inclined to say yes that it does matter, but that there is no silver bullet in how it is applied. I would speculate that it is most effective when is spent in ways that work to mitigate any one student's given social disadvantage(s).

Unknown said...

As usual, the research indicates various truths. Sometimes money matters, sometimes it doesn't. I agree with JC that money is probably most effective when applied in a differentiated manner.

I may be shooting myself in the foot, but I have debated the "throwing of money" that occurs at several levels within the Title initiatives. I believe that funding is often not spent on what benefits the students most in a given school, but on an initiative that was determined by someone with authority at central office.

Now speaking as someone who works with several Title programs, I have wondered if the historical spending of these funds has made a difference? For example, in a few of the districts that I have worked within Title I funding has been used to supplement reading programs for the last 10 years. Has this resulted in growth in reading achievement? At what point is enough, enough? If achievement has been static, will "throwing more money" at it actually solve the problem?

So, as you can see...no answers! What do you think?

June said...

Yes, money counts! If your school is not seeing the effects of the cuts, then you are truly blessed. My school has been cut to the bone with regards to educational support staff and it is being felt by all stakeholders in the school. Our funds were used for additional support that would level the playing field for my students who needed extra support. If you think money doesn't matter, you are not living in my plane of existence. We have gone from 15 instructional TA's to 5 instructional TA's. This has affected every program that we have successfully implemented in the past five years. Yes, it matters how money is utilized, but when it is managed appropriately, it makes a huge difference in highly impacted schools.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.